Hello
I am Dustin and I am a stamp and postcard collector from Germany. I collect stamps on children's books, fairy tales and fables and extraordinary stamps.
If you want to swap contact me: dustinhaus15@gmail.com

Visit also my other blog:

Sunday 13 October 2013

The Renaissance Popes

This week I was on a trip to Rome. When I was there I also visited the Vatican City where I bought my first Vatican stamp sets.

One stamp set was this:


The Renaissance Popes (issued 30-08-2013)
- Julius II
- Leo X

Julius II was the follower of Pope Pius III. His civic name was Giuliano della Rovere. He was born in 1443. Before he became the Pope he was the head of the opposition against Alexander VI, the Pope from the House of Borgia. He became the Pope in 1503. He was the founder of the Swiss Guard and in 1506 he induced the laying of the first stone of the St. Peter’s Basilica. He died in 1513.
After the death of Julius II Giovanni de’ Medici became the Pope. He was born in 1475 in Florence. His papal name was Leo X. The Protestant Reformation began in his regency. He died in 1521. His follower became Adrian VI.

No comments:

Post a Comment